Reflection Essay

 

    In my experience, working in groups has never been easy. It is hard to have to trust your peers with a portion of your grade. Hesitation to be in groups grew heavy in me this semester, whilst it’s being my last. I because fearful of those who might care less about the outcome because they might not have as much to lose. I’ve learned how important communication is in everything one does, whether it be group assignments, work, or relationships. Instead of being so easily scared off by the fact we had to work in groups for this class, I learned to embrace what students usually don’t see at first glance. I had the opportunity to watch others learn from me and me them, learning new study tactics and so forth. To be transparent I am still fearful of working in groups because I am indeed a very controlling person and like things done a certain way at a certain time, it’s a growing process. Yet I am open to the idea that this might make me a better student after all. 

Our group assignment consisted of summarizing and teaching our class to the best of our knowledge chapters 1-4. Personally, I believe our group did an extraordinary job at communicating to the best of our abilities with consideration to our own busy schedules and making the time and effort to achieve a great project. We projected our presentation and through our amazing speakers taught the class the importance of research, appropriateness, and overall confidence when public speaking. 

Though it may be a common fear amongst people, tactics to overcome it are very well-thought-out strategies and overall preparedness. Points made by my classmates also opened my eyes to things I've ever thought about when it comes to public speaking. Sure I've thought about how what I wear might make a difference in my comfort but never did I think to read the crowd.. and their mannerisms. Whether they have made the choice to be present for that speech or not. Considering these small aspects in a speaker is makes them tenfolds better than the next. 

Our group (1), was responsible for compiling all of the information for chapters 1-4 of our book. The topics we included were one of many to aid in absorbing the importance and strategic work that comes with preparing a speech and delivering, meanwhile making sure your audience is engaged at all times. The goal was to portray public speaking as more of a relaxed and confident conversation with a group of people willing to hear and learn about the topic or subject. While our delivery and commitment were impeccable, our group struggled at first to indulge at the beginning of the project. Once we all were comfortable with our responsibilities the rest was easy. Everyone is the group was comfortable asking and answering questions, Without some sort of system, plan of attack, or approach, group settings/projects can be intimidating, not to mention public speaking already is. 


The following groups touched on matters just as important yet different of course. Group 2 did an amazing job detailing the importance of outlines and introductions to speeches and presentations, the use of language, and visual or sensory aids. It was apparent this group was well-groomed before the presentation took place. Whilst delivering with confidence and an amazing demeanor in terms of the way their voices sounded, it was pleasant and engaging.

Group 3 held a level of professionalism when speaking and did a great job of laying out the importance of having a purpose and keeping on track as well as the use of persuasive tactics when delivering or preparing one's speech. Without a doubt, the topic of persuasiveness caught me for a loop because I never thought speaking was anything but factually based. Yet considering elections and who is running, this tactic is very much supported and used throughout that entire time. 

My experience throughout this whole learning process has aided me with a more positive mindset toward group projects and so forth. I am excited to continue working with my group as we have created a learning environment for each other and have more than once displayed our commitment to representing ourselves as studious and without a doubt hard workers. I am proud to say this class has definitely scared me a little bit and was not expecting any kind of intimidation through it yet I am pleased with the turn of events presented to me. 

I enjoyed learning from my peers and I hope to continue the trend throughout the rest of this semester as I am no longer fearful of what might go wrong when we have supported each other thus far. I've learned more about public speaking and overcoming fear than I thought I would and gladly will continue my efforts to learn in a group setting despite the challenges it might bring. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Better world Citizen Ashley Dominguez

Better World Citizen